A standoff escalates between California officials and the Trump administration as 700 Marines and 2,000 more National Guard troops deploy to Los Angeles. Follow DW for more.
https://p.dw.com/p/4vfkS
The protests so far have resulted in a few dozen arrests and some property damageImage: Tobin Hill/ZUMA Press/IMAGOWhat you need to know
- The Pentagon mobilized 700 Marines and doubled the National Guard troops in response to immigration enforcement protests
- Marines expected to reach Los Angeles by Tuesday morning
- California Governor Gavin Newsom sues the Trump administration over deployment of the National Guard and Marines
-
Australia speaks to US over reporter shot with rubber bullet while covering anti-Ice protests
This blog covers the latest developments in the United States on Tuesday, June 10, as President Donald Trump's administration deploys active-duty Marines to deal with the LA protests:
06/10/2025June 10, 2025
Australia raises issue of injured journalist with US
Australia has raised concerns with the United States government after a reporter was seemingly targeted and shot with a rubber bullet while covering protests against immigration raids in Los Angeles, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said.
"We don't find it acceptable that it occurred," Albanese said.
The incident during which Australia's Nine News US correspondent Lauren Tomasi was shot live on camera.
Albanese said he also spoke to Tomasi.
She wrote on Sunday that she was a "bit sore" but otherwise well, adding it was "important we keep on telling the stories that need to be told."
https://p.dw.com/p/4vfmq
Skip next section California leaders condemn 'deranged' military deployment06/10/2025June 10, 2025
California leaders condemn 'deranged' military deployment
President Donald Trump's administration has announced the deployment of 700 active-duty US Marines and an additional 2,000 National Guard troops to Los Angeles.
The move has drawn sharp criticism from California Governor Gavin Newsom, who described the deployment as "deranged" and accused the President of using the military to serve his own political interests.
"This isn't about public safety," Governor Newsom said. "It's about stroking a dangerous President's ego."
The deployment of active-duty military personnel within US cities is highly unusual and has raised concerns among local officials.
Los Angeles Police Chief Jim McDonnell said the arrival of Marines without prior coordination posed a significant logistical and operational challenge.
He expressed confidence in the police department's ability to manage large-scale demonstrations independently.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass also condemned the move, calling it a "deliberate attempt to create disorder and chaos in our city."
"I feel like we are part of an experiment that we did not ask to be a part of," she said.
Trump may be playing long game with National Guard order
https://p.dw.com/p/4vfmm
Skip next section Welcome to our coverage06/10/2025June 10, 2025
Welcome to our coverage
About 700 active-duty Marines are heading to Los Angeles on Tuesday - a move that state and city officials say will only make things worse.
What started as peaceful demonstrations against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operations on Friday has become more heated.
The situation escalated after President Donald Trump ordered in the National Guard, despite California Governor Gavin Newsom's opposition.
Protesters and law enforcement clashed, with cars set on fire in the streets.
It's the first time in 60 years that a president has deployed active-duty troops to back up the National Guard at home.
Stay with DW for real-time news, analysis, and insights from our correspondents on the ground as we continue to cover the LA protests.
https://p.dw.com/p/4vfmZ

8 months ago
9






